Agenda Item:6 &7
Terms of reference of the APEC Gender Focal Point Network (GFPN)
As endorsed by Ministers and Leaders in Los Cabos, Mexico in October 2002, the Gender Focal Point Network (GFPN) provides a sustainable and effective mechanism to integrate gender considerations in APEC. It advances the Framework for the Integration of Women in APEC based on the principle that gender is a cross-cutting issue within APEC. The GFPN, in conjunction with APEC processes, will provide the vehicle for SOM to continue work on issues that affect the economic circumstances of women in the APEC region. The GFPN also promotes the full and equal participation of women in APEC economies through the Trade and Investment Liberalization and Facilitation (TILF) and Economic And Technical Cooperation (ECOTECH) agendas.
The GFPN will provide policy and practical advice on gender issues to APEC for a and Senior Officials.
As agreed by Ministers and Leaders, GFPN will need to perform 8 basic tasks, which are :
1. Assist APEC fora to identify and address gender issues within their work;
2. Promote and report on women’s representation across APEC (and within individual fora).
3. Assess and Report on the use of gender criteria in project proposals, reporting and evaluation, revising the gender criteria where appropriate.
4. Collect and share good practices in gender integration amongst fora
5. Support and report on the progress of implementation of gender integration within individual fora and across APEC economies.
6. Facilitate provision of gender expert advice and advice by women with expertise related to APEC at all level.
7. Assist in developing of project proposal.
8. Propose recommendations on advancing gender integration in APEC.
Structure & Functions
The Gender Focal Network acts as an institutional mechanism form reporting to SOM on APEC gender activities and outcomes. The broad goal of the GFPN will be to provide linkages between APEC Fora, APEC economies and the APEC Secretariat to advance the economic interests of women in the APEC region for the benefit of all economies. The GFPN will comprise Fora Gender Focal Points and Economy Gender Focal Points, assisted by an APEC Gender Integration Program Director.
To facilitate the GFPN to implement the above tasks each APEC Fora needs to appoint a Fora Gender Focal Point and ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities as Fora Gender Focal Points.
The GFPN will meet not less than once annually. A Chair of the GFPN should also be appointed annually, ideally from the host economy. The GFPN will provide regular reports to SOM and other reports as appropriate. The annual report of the GFPN will be provided to SOM, and through SOM to Ministers and Leaders.
The components of the GFPN and their relationship are represented schematically in the Diagram attached (see Annex A). The key players are:
1. Fora Gender Focal Points
2. Economy Gender Focal Points
3. Gender Integration Program Director
4. Civil Society (ABAC and WLN)
Implementation Strategy (NOTE: the mechanisms need to be reviewed by GFPN, May 22)
In order to implement the 8 basic tasks of GFPN below are suggested mechanisms to be considered :
1. Assist fora to identify and address gender issues within the work of fora
Main responsibility of : Fora Gender Focal Points and GFPN (specific expertise might be needed, while for a focal point might not be expert on
• GFPN develop a gender checklist to help For a Gender Focal Points to
identify and address gender issues within the work of For a.
• GFPN small groups tailor each gender checklist in line with their specific fora.
• Fora Gender Focal Points utilize gender expert database (maintain by each economy gender focal points) to consult on identifying and addressing gender issues when needed.
2. Promote and report on women’s representation across APEC (and within individual fora)
Main responsibility of : Fora Gender Focal Points and Economy Gender Focal Points.
• Encourage women’s involvement and participation in APEC activities i.e.:
- Economy level : Advocacy to promote higher women representation in APEC meeting.
- Fora Level : Encouraging equal women participation in project
related activities, .
• Fora Gender Focal Points provides the number of current women’s representation in her/his respective fora and number of women’s participation in APEC meeting and other activities.
2. Assess and Report on the use of gender criteria in project proposals, reporting and evaluation, revising the gender criteria where appropriate
Main Responsibility of : GFPN with the support of the Gender Integration Program Director
- The APEC Secretariat compiles all project proposals
- The small groups assess gender criteria in each of project proposal, reporting and evaluation from their designated fora;
- The small groups report of their findings to the GFPN Meeting;
- The GFPN meeting is to assess the findings reported by small groups;
- The GFPN meeting is to make recommendations of the revision of gender criteria where appropriate to SOM.
4. Collect and share good practices in gender integration amongst fora
Main responsibility of : Fora Gender Focal Points
• Prepare a report to the GFPN on gender integration in her/his respective fora,
- How gender criteria is applied in projects
- Whether gender analysis is used in developing projects/policies
- What problems are encountered, recommended solution and action taken
• Gender Integration Program Director of the APEC Secretariat (GIPD)
compiles the reports and make them available to for a, member economies and public virtually.
5. Support and report on the progress of implementation of gender integration within individual fora and across APEC economies
Main Responsibility of : Economy Focal Points and Fora Focal Points
At Economy Level. Economy Gender Focal Point will :
- Encourage the use of gender analysis and collection of disaggregated data on sectoral activities.
- Encourage higher number of women representation of member delegations in APEC activities.
- Prepare report, which include problems encountered, on the implementation of gender integration.
At Fora Level, Fora Gender Focal Point will :
- Encourage the use of gender analysis and collection of disaggregated data within for a.
- Prepare report, which include problems encountered, on the implementation of gender integration within fora.
6. Facilitate provision of gender expert advice and advice by women with expertise related to APEC at all level
Main Responsibility of : Fora Gender Focal Points, Economy Gender Focal Points and Gender Integration Program Director
- Fora Gender Focal Point to notify the Gender Integration Program Director when gender expert advice is needed;
- Economy Gender Focal Points to maintain database of availability of gender experts in their economy, and notify Gender Integration Program Director if the needed gender expertise is available within their own economy;
- Gender Integration Program Director to inform respective Fora Gender Focal Point of the availability of gender expert.
Note: The WLN had once maintained a gender expert data base. If they still maintain and update this data base, the resources could also be utilized by the GFPN for the provision of gender expert advice and advice by women with expertise.
7. Assist in developing of project proposal
Main Responsibility of : Economy Gender Focal Points
• Establish a network of gender experts at the economy level and serve as resources for gender experts in doing gender analysis and other support needed by economy member of fora.
• Conduct gender sessions to economy member of fora (introduction of gender issues, training on analysis).
• Support the economy’s member of committee through forum at economy level.
• Whenever necessary economy’s focal point will coordinate with member of GFPN for solution of any problems encountered in development project involving two or more economies.
8. Propose recommendations on advancing gender integration in APEC
Main Responsibility of : GFPN
• Assess reports by Fora Gender Focal Points on the progress on
implementation of gender integration within APEC For a.
• Assess reports by Economy Gender Focal Points on progress on
implementation of gender integration in their economies.
• Prepare Recommendation to SOM by evaluating:
- Understanding of gender mainstreaming among fora members.
- How far APEC fora has mainstreamed gender in their daily activities
- Commitment at fora level
• Once in two years, where there is Ministerial Meeting on Women, make
recommendations directly to the Ministers.